Unlimited Weekly Immigration News Archive: December 15, 2023


Federal judge bans family separation at U.S.-Mexico border

A federal judge forbidden the separation of families at the border as a policy to deter immigration for eight years. U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw said the recent separation of thousands of families “represents one of the most shameful chapters in our nation’s history.”

Despite international backlash, the Trump-era policy separated more than 5,000 children from their parents between 2017 and 2018.

January 2024 Visa Bulletin

The US Department of State has released its Visa Bulletin for January 2024. This is a big problem if you’re waiting for your priority date to be current so your green card application can move forward.

All family categories saw no change, while all countries in the EB-4 “Special Immigrants” category saw a 6-month movement. Another notable change is the EB-1 work visa category, a one and a half year move for India. Learn more here.

Would you like to sign up for our weekly newsletter covering all things immigration?

Enter your email below.

US aid to Ukraine sparks dispute over border security

A agreement The push to provide additional military and economic aid to Ukraine has led Congress to squabble over immigration and border policies.

The Biden administration is working to address GOP concerns about the high influx of migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border, while reassuring Democrats that any border security concessions will not unduly restrict legal immigration.

Family members received the majority of employment-based US green cards in 2022

Family members received more than half of employment-based (EB) green cards issued in the United States in 2022, according to a new report.

THE report, from the libertarian think tank Cato Institute, found that of the total EB green cards issued, 55 percent went to family members, leaving the remaining 45 percent to skilled workers. This contrasts with the global norm, where immigrants with family backgrounds and those working for jobs generally follow separate paths.

Leave a comment