The Complete Guide to the Canada Fiance Visa Process


Raj immigrated to Canada from India six years ago. Finally, he became a Canadian citizen about two years ago. During a trip to India, Raj met his high school friend Priya. They dated for about a month while Raj was in India. He returned to Canada, but they continued their relationship by phone, email and WhatsApp for more than two years. Raj finally proposed to Priya six months ago. Luckily, Priya said yes. Raj is curious about the possibility of Priya visiting Canada, allowing them to unite in marriage.

When it comes to love, boundaries should never be a barrier. Canada, known for its welcoming immigration policies, offers opportunities to bring your fiancé or fiancée to join you on Canadian soil. There is no specific Canadian fiancé visa category like in some other countries, such as the United States.

Rather, the process involves a few essential steps: obtaining a visitor visa, getting married in Canada and applying for a visa. permanent residence through a spousal sponsorship program. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve deeper into each step of this journey, making sure you have all the details to unite with your loved one.

1. Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa – TRV)

The first step in bringing your fiancé or fiancée to Canada is to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)commonly called a visitor visa. This visa allows your loved one to enter Canada temporarily, with the intention of marrying and eventually applying for permanent residency. Key details include:

Application Process: Start by applying for a TRV on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website or at a Visa Application Center (VAC) in your home country. Be sure to apply well in advance of your planned wedding date.

Validity: VRTs are usually issued with a specific validity period. Your fiancé or fiancée must leave Canada before the visa expires, unless an extension is requested and granted.

Eligibility: To qualify for a TRV, your loved one must demonstrate strong ties to their home country, such as employment, family or property, to prove their intention to return after their visit.

2. Get married

Once your fiancé or fiancée arrives in Canada on the TRV, you can proceed with wedding preparations. However, make sure you meet the legal requirements to get married in the province or territory where your wedding will take place:

Legal requirements: These may vary depending on your location, but often include obtaining a marriage license, having witnesses present, and arranging for a licensed celebrant to conduct the ceremony.

Validity of marriage: Meeting these requirements ensures that your marriage is legally valid in Canada, a crucial step for later applying for permanent residence.

3. Spousal sponsorship for permanent residence

After your marriage, you can embark on the adventure of sponsoring your spouse for permanent residence in Canada. This is where the term “Canada fiancé visa” is replaced by the reality of spousal sponsorship. Let’s explore the two main categories of this sponsorship:

In-country spousal sponsorship

In-country spousal sponsorship is ideal if your spouse is already in Canada on a valid visitor visa or other temporary status. This category offers several advantages:

Open work permit: Your spouse may request spouse’s open work permitallowing them to work in Canada while their sponsorship application is processed.

Live together: Domestic sponsorship allows you to live together in Canada throughout the application process, supporting a smooth transition to permanent residence.

Spousal sponsorship abroad

If your spouse is outside of Canada, you can pursue spousal sponsorship abroad. This category is designed for couples temporarily separated due to travel restrictions or other reasons:

Application flexibility: Your spouse does not need to be physically present in Canada for you to submit an application abroad. This flexibility is particularly valuable during situations that prevent physical reunions.

Visit Canada: Despite being an overseas applicant, your spouse can still visit you in Canada while their application is being processed, furthering your connection.

4. Application Process

The spousal sponsorship application includes two main stages: the sponsor’s application and the spouse’s application for permanent residence. Here’s a closer look at these steps:

Sponsor request: As a sponsor, you initiate the process by applying to sponsor your spouse for permanent residence. This application requires you to demonstrate your eligibility as a sponsor, including your financial capacity.

Spouse’s application for permanent residence: At the same time, your spouse must apply for permanent residence. This request involves providing documents proving their eligibility and the authenticity of your relationship, including marriage records and shared assets.

Learn more: Documents Required for Canada Spouse Visa

5. Processing time and approval

The processing time for spousal sponsorship applications may vary depending on factors such as the category (domestic or foreign) and the volume of applications processed. Patience is key during this step. Once the application is approved, your spouse will receive permanent resident status in Canada, an important step in your shared journey:

Permanent residence: With permanent resident status, your spouse can live and work in Canada indefinitely. They can also access health care and benefit from the benefits of Canadian residents.

Path to citizenship: After obtaining permanent residence, your spouse can potentially apply for Canadian citizenship, provided they meet the eligibility criteria.

Here is a guide to Sponsoring spouses within the country or abroad in Canada

Bringing your fiancé or fiancée to Canada to start a new life together is a journey filled with love and hope. While the term “Canadian fiancé visa” may not be a formal part of the process, Canada’s welcoming immigration policies ensure that love knows no boundaries.

In your journey to unite with your fiancé or fiancée in Canada, having the right advice is crucial. Elaar Immigration, led by Keshav Sharmaa regulated Canadian immigration consultant, specializes in all types of spousal visa and spousal open work permit applications.

Contact us for more information or Book a quick consultation with our experts.

Leave a comment