Master’s graduates now eligible for a 3-year license


The Canadian government has changed the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) allow master’s degree holders, even those less than two years old, to be eligible for a three-year PTPD.

However, students participating in programs covered by a License Agreement for Study Programs will no longer be qualified for the PGWP from September 1, 2024. Moreover, until August 31, 2024specific measures relating to the validity of the PGWP and distance learning have been extended.

Of the February 15, 2024All master’s students, including those with a degree less than 2 years old (minimum 8 months), are now eligible to obtain a 3-year postgraduate work permit in Canada.

What is the PGWP and its eligibility criteria?

A open work permit granted to international students who have completed their studies in Canada is known as a post-graduation work permit. PTPD holders can work as many hours as they want for any company, anywhere in Canada.

If you have completed your studies at a Designated Educational Institution (DLI), you may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PTPD) if you wish to work and live temporarily in Canada. A Canadian province or territory has authorized IDD as a school to accept international students.

General conditions of eligibility for the PTPD

  • If you have completed a graduate program in a Designated Learning Institute (DLI) and completed the specific program requirements, you can apply for the PGWP.
  • Your program must be a full-time course during each semester of your degree program.

Open Work Permit Requirements for PTPD Holder’s Spouse

Who is not eligible for PTPD?

You are not eligible for a post-graduation work permit if:

  • Your study permit expired more than 180 days before your application.
  • You have already received a PGWP.
  • You completed your studies with English or French as a second language.
  • You have participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program or received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
  • You have received the Canada-Chile Equal Opportunity Scholarship.
  • You participated in the Organization of American States fellowship program.
  • You have completed most of your studies remotely.
  • You completed your studies at a non-Canadian institution in Canada.

How to apply for PTPD?

You can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PTDP) from within Canada or from outside the country if you are eligible. When you apply for the PGWP, you must attest with proof that you have taken full-time courses and completed your program. You must confirm by submitting the following documents:

  • A copy of your diploma or diploma.
  • A confirmation letter from your institute or a transcript.
  • If your study permit in Canada expires before your result, you can apply for a visitor’s record to stay until you get your grades, or you can leave the country and apply for your PGWP.


  • You must ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your work permit. If your passport expires before the PGWP, the government will issue a PGWP which is only valid until the expiry date. IRCC has the sole discretion to extend your PGWP and will notify you if you need to extend it.

Leave a comment